Surah Al Baqarah is second chapter or Surah of Holy Quran. This is Madni Surah and longest chapter of Holy Quran. It has 286 verses. Surah Baqarah was revealed in Madina on Our Prophet Muhammad PBUH.
Surah Al Baqarah has enormous value and great rewards in this life and in the hereafter. So Surah al Baqarah is special in so many ways. Some of the virtues and blessings of Surah Baqarah are described as below.
- Abu Hurairah (RA) said that the Prophet Muhammad (PBUH) said: Do not turn your houses into graves. Verily, Shaitan does not enter the house where Surah Al-Baqarah is recited (Tirmidhi)
- The Prophet (PBUH) said that Shaitan flees from a house where Surat al-Baqarah is recited. (Muslim 780) He also said that magicians cannot confront this Surah. (Muslim 804).
- If somebody recited the last two verses of Surat al-Baqarah at night, that will be sufficient for him. (According to Abu Masood al-Ansaari and narrated by al-Bukhaari, 4723; Muslim, 807).
- The messenger of Allah (SAW) also said: ‘Everything has a hump, and the hump of the Qur’an is Surah al-Baqarah, if anyone recites it in his house during the night no devil will enter it for three nights, if anyone recites it in his house during the day-time no devil will enter it for three days.’ Ibn Hibban Tibarani and Baihaqi transmitted it from Sahl bin Sa’d, for whom Allah’s (swt) Good Pleasure is prayed.
- The last verses of Surat al-Baqarah The Prophet (saw) said: ‘Allah (swt) finished Surat al-Baqarah with two verses which He has given me from His Treasure which is under the Throne: so learn them and teach them to your womenfolk and children, for they are a blessing, a recitation and a supplication.’ al-Hakim transmitted it from Abu Dharr, for whom Allah’s (swt) Good Pleasure is prayed.
- Ayat-ul-Kursi is verse 255 of Surah Al-Bqarah and is related to Allah’s throne. This Quranic verse has many blessings and is used for ruqyah treatment, the treatment of evil eye, black magic, and also for general and comprehensive protection.
- Recite Ayat ul Kursi when going to bed He confirmed that "a protector from Allah will then remain over you, and Satan will not come near you, until the morning’, reports Abu Hurairah in a long Hadith about his encounter with Satan (Bukhari).
- Prophet Muhammad (PBUH) said: “Recite the Holy Quran, for on the Day of Resurrection it will come as an intercessor for those who recite It. Recite the two bright ones, al-Baqarah, and Surah Al ‘Imran, for on the Day of Resurrection they will come as two clouds or two shades, or two flocks of birds in ranks, pleading for those who recite them. Recite Surah al-Baqarah, to take recourse to it is a blessing and to give it up is a cause of grief, and the magicians cannot confront it.” (Muslim)
In Short, there are several hadith that inform us the virtues and blessings of Surah al Baqarah. We should try to recite Surah al Baqarah to get proper understanding. Do not let the temptation of shaitan make you feel lazy.
May Allah enable us all to bring His verses into our hearts and make them a means of enlightening our hearts and our lives and our graves and grant us the best status in the afterlife. Ameen!